Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Project Dalek 2012: A Retrospective

Ladies and Gentlemen,

You may or may not have noticed that I have done very little in the way of blogging about Project Dalek since April. There is a very good reason for this. At a certain point, once I was well into the build, it began to progress, not forward, but outward. It becomes very hard indeed to track your progress linearly when there are so many irons in the proverbial fire. I tried to think of things to add to the blog, but there were so many things. Also, on Facebook I was employing a kind of photo-journalistic approach to the build. Small, bite-sized chunks of my progress, tracked with photos and brief comments. If we're friends on Facebook you likely are about as caught up as you care to be on the project. But that's not good enough. I started this blog with the intention of covering every step of the way, and I haven't done that. What I can do, however, is give you a little insight into the build. Why I decided to build a Dalek, how it went, and what I've learned. So, let's do that, shall we?

First of all, the build is complete. I finished Dalek Gan about two weeks ago inasmuch as I intended to finish him before GenCon 2012. There are a handful of upgrades and improvements that I'd like to make, but after the positively grueling pace I maintained for the better part of 7 months, I need to take a break before I tackle those smaller, fiddlier improvements. And so, as I said, Gan is complete. Observe:


This is the first photo of a Gan in his completed state, mere days before we left for GenCon. I have to say that I am very proud of him. When I began the project back in January, I had no idea just how much work I was in for. The skills involved were things I'd never even attempted so much of the project was on the job training. Some of it was successful, and some was not. The fiberglass for the dome was quite a mess. Fortunately I made a friend or two during the build who were much better at some of these disciplines than I.   The build cannot be said to be completely mine. There were a lot of people involved in one way or another. People assisted on design, various methods and techniques, educating me on the use of tools, ideas for parts, masters for molding and casting and a whole host of other things. No, the build was definitely not mine alone, even if the facilitation and planning was. I think I can safely claim the project as mine, but never the whole build. It takes a village to build a Dalek.

So, I'd like to thank everyone who made themselves available to help, or who contributed an idea, or a part, or even a compliment or word of encouragement. The result of the project is a fun homage to a great show and a great sci-fi monster, but the last 7 months have been very challenging and sometimes stressful like any ambitious project. Let me tell you, I had a great time and learned a lot, but sticking with it was tough and I am extremely glad that Gan is finally built! A special thanks to my wife, Michelle, who tolerated my long hours in the shop and obsessive Dalek talk, along with the scattered parts and messes that went along with it. She, too, is glad Gan is finished. :)

So, as I said, a little insight into how the build went. Very well I think. And I think better than I ever hoped it would. I think I made something that was beyond my skill to make, and of that I am very proud. In the language of my people, I would say that I rolled a 20 on an untrained skill. Gan has flaws, but then so do I. So the next thing...why build a Dalek?

Initially, I just thought it would be a fun idea and I'd learn some useful skills. Both true as it happens. As I thought more about it though, there were more reasons. The main one that keeps popping up in my head when I think about it is that I want to create one of those moments for someone that you remember the rest of your life. Everyone has them. Things that you see or do that you just don't forget. Some are good and some are bad, but they're indelible. And I think maybe the Dalek is capable of doing that. This past weekend, Gan made his first public appearance at GenCon 2012. It's a great costume because you're completely anonymous in there. People don't see you and so there's some illusion there. They KNOW it's not really a Dalek, but there it is all the same, and that makes an impression.

I knew I had achieved something based on the fact that Gan was completely mobbed most of the time during the 4 to 5 hours I was able to spend out in the hallways with him. The kids were the best! most of them would approach very cautiously so their parents could get a picture, but they couldn't take their eyes off of the Dalek. Many would carefully poke at the skirt, or lean up and try to see if there was someone inside, but they were amazed, scared and delighted, and that made the whole thing worth it. Here are a couple of pictures from GenCon:




Gan made a lot of people happy, and that was my goal. People talked to him and interacted in a lot of different ways and everyone who knew what Gan was wore enormous grins. Isn't it funny how a monster that is supposed to be the epitome of evil can make people clap, laugh and smile? Several people even gave Gan a kiss on his eyestalk or hugged him. Most of them even asked permission, sounding every bit the 10 year old kid when they did. It was awesome!

So, what have I learned?

I could do an entire blog on the things I've learned, or at least had affirmed, during Project Dalek 2012. There are a couple of things I can take away that perhaps aren't news, but it's good to see them in practice. 

First, the best way to eat the elephant is one bite at a time. I'd get discouraged if I tried to look at the whole project. The only way to continue sometimes was to focus on one small thing and finish it. I had lists and lists of very small parts of the project. Checking things off of a list is incredibly empowering.

Second, the amazement and wonder of one person makes the entire project worth it. That was without a doubt the best part.

So, this is really just the end of the beginning for Gan. I plan to take him places, improve him, and hopefully show him to a lot of people. Project Dalek 2012 is complete, but the fun is just starting! Thanks for reading and stay tuned for the adventures of Gan!

-Jon


1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you you are a very good dalek builder I know it is not an easy job to do as parts are very hard to come by I know that. My self it took me 8 and a half months to build my dalek jak as I called him he is not perfect as I had a lot of trouble with certain sections of the dalek but my god I am glad he is finished in 2014 From May to Dec ember ,,,,,, I congratulate you on yours a job well done

    ReplyDelete